Writing an effective resume is critical for potentially securing your ideal job and it’s no secret that recruiters and employers expect much more than just a list of job titles and dates that you have worked. Accounting departments require resumes which accurately reflect the skills, education, and abilities that you possess that are applicable to the open position. If you have worked in an accounting department or have other relevant experiences, you should highlight your capabilities and experiences as quickly and concisely as possible in order to maximize your chances of getting an interview and subsequently landing the job. In this article, we will discuss the best practices for how to write accounting department accomplishments on your resume, so that you can present yourself and experiences in the best light possible. It is important to provide a detailed history of your work experience when applying for accounting jobs. When listing your accomplishments in an accounting department, be sure to include measurable results wherever possible. Even if you’ve only been in the position for a short period of time, you can still demonstrate your advanced ability to identify problems, evaluate data and consistently meet goals.
For example, if you are applying for a job as an accounting clerk and have previously managed reconciliation procedures, it would be beneficial to list that information on your resume in either a bullet point or summarized form. You might mention that you consistently maintained accurate accounts, evaluated discrepancies and identified areas of improvement. If you are applying for a job as an auditor, list any previous audits you have conducted and the award or recognition you received for your performance.
In order to stand out from the competition and be taken seriously, it is essential for you to quantify your accomplishments when possible. Instead of simply stating that you increased efficiency in the accounting department, be sure to include specifics, such as, “Increased efficiency in the accounting department by 20% in first quarter.” This will show potential employers that you not only recognize the importance of accurate accounting, but that you are capable of professional accomplishments as well.
In conclusion, the best way to craft effective accounting accomplishments on your resume is to be specific, provide details, and quantify your successes. By doing so, you will be able to present yourself in the best light possible and have a better chance of landing the job.
What qualifications should you include in an accounting department accomplishments listing on a resume?
• Ensured compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
• Developed processes, procedures and strategies to improve accuracy, efficiency, and productivity of accounting operations
• Analyzed, recorded, and reported all financial transactions
• Reconciled accounts, bank statements and other financial documents
• Prepared and reviewed financial statements and reports
• Handled collections on delinquent accounts
• Monitored and ensured accuracy of expense trends and spending
• Managed daily and monthly accounting close processes
• Reviewed, monitored and ensured timely adoption of accounting changes
• Audited and reviewed financial data for accuracy and completeness
• Managed and maintained internal controls and related documentation
• Developed budgets and strategic plans to ensure financial goals are met
• Provided guidance and support to the accounting staff to ensure accuracy of financial results and compliance with internal controls